Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisM2097
My lane position was directly between tire tracks in the right lane. If these women were to pass me on the right, they would have been driving on the shoulder, and there would be no need, because this is a two-lane road, and they simply passed me on the left, like they should have...but they slowed down to my speed, rolled the windows down, and proceeded to tell me that I shouldn't be in the road.

Typically on non-bike-lane roads, my lane position is just left of the right-tire track, in the right-most lane (unless that lane becomes a turn-only lane).
OK -- I misunderstood your road layout -- when you mentioned that cars can "pass on my right, if they're turning right", I thought that meant that you had a full car-width shoulder to your right that you could ride in if you chose to. Sounds like maybe you only had that extra width at intersections or right turn-outs? If that's the case, then I don't think what I wrote about #2 applies.

I guess my general point is that when I find I am impeding traffic, I pull right (when safe) to facilitate a pass, whether I'm riding a bike or pulling a trailer up a mountain road. And in the case of elderly drivers who like to stay in the right lane, I'll do it even if they have an empty lane to their left. Again, probably not what most here would recommend.