Old 12-30-12, 11:00 AM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hagen2456
Depends 100% on how it's done - as shown in Holland and Denmark.
Yes, but the point is that they work in Holland and Denmark because motorists are penalized for hitting bicyclists and pedestrians.

In the US, designers planning roads and bike lanes have told me the bicyclists can never take the right of way from a motorist, and their designs show this bias. (No, this is not legally true, but they had no interest in reading the traffic code.) They think the bike lane to the right of RTOL they've installed here works here because they think bicyclists shouldn't go more than 8mph and think bicyclists are required to stop at every intersection, regardless of stop signs or traffic lights.

Somerville MA has a city ordinance that bicyclists must always stay to the right and yield to right turning motorists (i.e. bicyclist is at fault in right hooks.) This conflicted with state law when it was passed and is not likely to withstand a challenge, but they passed it anyways.

MD mandatory bike lane laws don't included exceptions for bicycling at the speed of traffic (i.e. legally required to ride in the door zone in 10mph traffic); for police bias look up Leymeister (killed by motorist that did not remove ice from her windshield). I don't live in MD anymore, but if I did the conflict between MBL laws and poor design would be ugly.