Old 12-30-12, 11:29 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chucky
But do the self healing tubes work at higher pressures?

I just use kevlar belted tires front/rear PLUS a StopFlats2 tire liner in the rear (has to be that brand...others don't work as well) and the combination pretty much stops anything that can be stopped (for example, the last thing it didn't stop was a nail that went through both sides of the tire AND the aluminum rim ). Everything else, by definition, must be repaired.
That's a pretty open ended question since you didn't specify what you consider 'high pressure'. The tubes I'm referring to specifically are Michlin Protek Max tubes which are only available in sizes intended for wider tires than would be found on anything using current road brakes. However, most road hazards are found where road and driving conditions would dictate wider tires anyway. So the short answer is they'll work in pressures normally found in the sizes of tires they were designed for. Whether you think those are 'high pressure' enough for your uses is beyond me. I've never managed to put a nail through both sides of a rim myself - even with a hammer.

For riders that have to deal with goatheads, there's a tube sealant called Flat Attack that's based out of Utah, has been around longer than Slime and gets better reviews than Stans for that application.http://www.flatattack.com/

Last edited by Burton; 12-30-12 at 11:35 AM.