View Single Post
Old 12-30-12, 12:05 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
The only ride where I suffer on descents is the Everest Challenge stage race, which has 29k' of climbing in two days with three big climbs and two descents each day. The descents have relatively few turns so you need to stay in a tuck the whole way down. Since it's a race I don't want to sit up and slow down. 20 or 30 minutes of that and my back is hurting. This year I did some core strengthening exercises in the gym as part of my training. That helped but on the second descent on the second day I was really looking forward to the last climb.

But normally it's not a problem.
I did that ride a few years ago. Descents didn't seem that difficult as grades are not bad and the roads are good as well as straight so you barely need your brakes. What makes that ride tough is the length. Long descents through steep switchbacks on crappy surfaces are considerably more tiring.

I agree it's normally not a problem. But if you're spending the day climbing and descending, it can be an issue. I haven't done any serious climbing on a bike since August. In all honesty, I don't miss it. A couple steeps here and there is fun. I'm starting to question the suffering thing.

Originally Posted by FLvector
If you're being bugged by mosquitoes and deer flies you aren't pedaling fast enough. Be splattered by love bugs during season is another issue.
Easy to do on flats and light inclines. Not so easy on steeper grades.