Thread: Wheel Question
View Single Post
Old 12-30-12, 12:43 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
One supplier of very good wheels is Colorado Cyclist. I've had three sets of their wheel (CXP-33 rims on Campy Chorus or Ultegra hubs, DT 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes 32H, 3X) that have come perfectly true and never needed to be touched with a spoke wrench until the rims wore too thin to trust at the brake tracks after over 25,000 miles.

CC doesn't claim hand built but says their wheels are machine built through mrrabbilt's int and part of the fin steps and are then hand adjusted for final tensioning and truing.

One good experience with what I expect are completely machine built wheels are a pair of Shimano WH-R560 wheels. These have moderately deep rims laced with 16 radial spokes in front and 20 spokes radial DS, 2X NDS in the rear on 105 lever hubs. Again, these came completely true and have remained so after 11,000 miles so far. And yes, the rear is laced radially on the drive side. I guess the hub shell is stiff enough that it doesn't matter.