Old 12-31-12, 12:18 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 222 Posts
First, let me say that my bicycle lifestyle acts as a filter to remove shallow, gold-digging women from the dating pool pretty quickly. I would think location would be key as well. NYC - probably no problem getting dates sans car while Los Angeles would present a larger challenge.

Second, some women are attracted to the guy who is not like all the rest in the room. So I have met women - and had the ice broken very nicely - because of my car-free lifestyle. Yes, some women got filtered of course (see the "First" comment above).

Third, and lastly - my wife and I met when we were in our mid 40s. Neither of us had been married before. She dated lots of guys with cars over her lifetime and didn't "buy" any of them for one reason or another. The lack of a car really never was an issue between us except for the fact that she worries for my safety, especially after dark or during bad weather.

So I would have to say that in the long run, my bike saved me from insincere women which left me available for the right one when she FINALLY came along. We are together 18 years now.