Old 01-02-13, 03:23 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
My Son-in-Laws company has two branches. One in Eastbourne and one is Bath. It is a distance of 180 miles apart and one of the managers has the bright idea of doing a ride between the two branches---IN ONE DAY. To me that is the mad part as although I know there are a couple of "Keen" cyclists amongst them-only two of them have ever done a ride of 100 miles amongst the 20 that have shown interest.

I have suggested a couple of training rides to show the one that is planning the ride that it will not be possible for most of them to do the ride in one day. I know that in theory it should be possible- 180 / 12 mph- and it could be done in daylight but Physically it would finish most of them. My suggestion for the first training ride is just a 30 miler across the marshes so it would be flattish but would sort those that will have to do a lot of training to get fit. Or buy new bikes to be able to average 12mph as I know several of the bikes are "WallyMart" specials. This will show the competence of the "Team" to the one that has suggested the ride and that it is a foolhardy idea. The second ride will be up a few slopes and around 40 miles and will involve around 4,000 ft of climbing and being a circular route will find other things like Headwinds and Traffic.

I think the idea is not possible unless you are a competent century rider and you have plenty of gumption to be able to keep going when it hurts. There are only 3 or 4 accomplished riders amongst them and even they have said it is not possible.

So I have made a suggestion in that it be done as a relay. Start very early and have 2 3 or 4 riders at a time. Those riders can be matched to each other on speed and if the strong riders take on the hilly bits leaving those that just want to participate on the easier sections. I reckon that it would still take around 15 hours to complete but by using the relay system- then all would be able to take part in the hair brained scheme that someone has conceived.

So what are your thoughts? If you are just the average rider- how would you feel about attempting a ride like this? And if you are a double Centurion- do you agree that 180 miles in one day is doomed for failure?

I need your input as you can guess who will be training the weaker riders over the next 6 months And I don't like failing.
It can be done, maybe....

First you need to look at a route, is it possible without going on Motorways, a quick look at Google maps, makes it look possible, but Google maps is not known for it's accuracy outside the United States, it's better then Apple Maps, but that's not saying much.

Second, you need to look at your volunteers bicycles, anyone with a proper road bike (even an old one), has possibilities, anyone with a BSO, take a pass.
Third, you need to look at your volunteers physical condition, if they are in good shape, then they are possible, the 5 stone overweight, 50+ guy, uh, no.
Fourth, you need to look at your volunteers families, anyone with a child under the age of three, forget it.
Fifth, you need to look at your volunteers, job. If it's a guy who works regular hours, okay, if he works 60+ hours a week, he will not be able to make the time commitment.

Now take the guys you have left, drive the route, look for the steepest hill along the way, have them ride back about 10 miles, then U turn and ride back, so the last thing they get to is that hill. This is the last test, if anyone makes it, they have a chance.

Now they need a bike computer, they need to start at 10 miles per ride, riding 4 times a week, with one of the rides on the weekend. The weekend ride, gets 5 miles added on, every week, from now until August. They will then be able to handle 180 miles, easy.