View Single Post
Old 01-04-13, 02:52 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It is the outer jacket that has to fit. I am in the small categorie but I do have a couple of XL outer jackets to put over the top of all the other stuff I am wearing.

You can wear any clothing you want but for the legs make certain it is not too tight- does not retain wet (Jeans do) and there is some way of stopping them getting caught in the chain. Body wise and the best thing you can buy for the cold is a "Base Layer". My winter one is thermal and long sleeved. Then over this you can wear a light fleece and a windproof Outer shell. More garments can be put on if necessary and this is why for winter riding- the outer shell should be "Over Large".

But I have been cycling for 22 years and have plenty of cycling clothing. You acquire it on an "As needed" basis. Summer riding and it is shorts and jerseys- then a waterproof outer jacket- then you find out about windproof and one of those comes along.Then the long sleeve jersey and how about the cycling tights. Then there is the necessity of gloves and thermal socks and---------and the list goes on.

Main thing to do right now is keep riding. You are doing right by staying away from cotton but as you will find out- once you get the body warm enough on a ride--The feet hands and ears get cold. A ski mask for the ears as if it is cold on the ears- the rest of the face could be aswell. Gloves and I dare say you have long finger gloves tucked away somewhere but wind and water proof is important too. Feet and I used to wear two pairs of socks with a plastic bag layered between the two. Kept the wind and the wet out and the feet did not get too cold.

You do not need cycling specific clothing as if you did- you would be spending just as much on clothing as you did the bike. So in the meantime wear whatever you have got. And if it is every jersey and sweatshirt you have got then invest in an "Over" large outer jacket to keep the weather out.

Spike Milligan