View Single Post
Old 01-06-13, 06:54 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by djh48
I have been looking all over craigslist, searching everything I can and I still can't find any Vintage Bicycles for cheap. I mean yeah, I can find 'em, but they're putting the prices at like $100-$300, and I already know that is way to much unless they are tuned up. I am looking for an old one to tune up myself, for likge $30, but have no idea where to find em. So where do you find your vintage bikes for cheap?
I am regularly looking for old bikes, and of the hundreds of potential prospects I've seen in the last few decades, there were only two decent bikes I have seen in that price range. Both were found at yard sales first thing in the morning, just as they were hauled out of the garage. The right place at the right time...

If a bike is listed in Craigslist, and it doesn't sell in less than 5 minutes, you can be certain it is the usual ongoing flood of crap that clutters up CL. Work under the assumption that everything posted there is broken, stolen, overpriced and worthless department store junk. Maybe once in 500 postings you'll be pleasantly surprised, but this will because the bike description is completely wrong, which throws everyone else off, or the bike is way off in the sticks and will take your competition extraordinary effort to get to.

Finally, when buying used, assume that the entire drivetrain is worn out and needs replacing. Of the dozens of bikes I've bought and fixed up over the years, I have only ever come across a single bike in which the chain did not need replacing.