View Single Post
Old 01-08-13, 06:00 PM
seymour1910

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOtherBob
I'm a big proponent of the "Getting to Yes" type of negotiation, where both parties try to find a fair value for the item. So if you come in with a lowball offer that's clearly just meant to be a lowball offer, I'm more likely not to bother talking with you further -- because it's clear that our initial valuations are too far apart, and I don't really like someone standing there giving me some tap dance show.

That doesn't mean that I won't haggle -- just that this "I give you an unreasonably high price, you give me an unreasonably low price, and we split the difference" approach to negotiation just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The fair price is rarely right in the middle of two unreasonable offers, and it's silly to sit there arguing about whose unreasonable offer is going to "win." Just talk about what the item is worth, then agree on that price.
Good points....and if every seller thought this way there may not be as many low ball offers. I will provide an example. There is a guy in my local area that has a CAAD9 frame and fork for sale on CL. NO group, no wheels, just the frameset and he is asking "$700 firm" for the stripped down four year old frame. In this case I don't feel bad to call and offer far less because everyone knows he is asking a bit much for that frame. Just my opinion.