View Single Post
Old 01-12-13, 02:58 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ex mountain biker and I only went road 6 years ago at 59 and I wish I could find the groups that I can pass on the road even now. However I do get riders pass me that seem to "Invite" me to give chase. Do not get tempted. They are mostly younger than me and as soon as I put on a spurt to catch them all I do is use energy that may give me an extra Cardio workout but I never catch them. Only time I ever did was when I caught a rider over about a mile or so and full of the enthusiasm of "Youth" I passed him immediately. He sat behind me for about 3 miles getting a tow and making me work just that little bit more than I wanted to. I was really pleased when he eventually turned off and I could relax back into recovery mode.

Just face it- most people out on bikes on the road are younger than me- fitter than me and have the competitive nature that I lost many years ago. Only time that I ever came across a group of riders that was different was back in 2007 and I was out on my Ride your age that year. Turned onto the Marsh road and found myself about 200 yards in front of a group of riders. 3 miles later and there was a junction and I turned off into a layby and took a rest for a drink. The layby was also used by this group to reform and I started to hear the comments from the other riders. "He has got a triple on that bike"- " He only has Sora 8 Speed"- He has only got an OCR3"- "He's Old". Turns out it was group of new riders in a club about 15 miles down the coast and this was their introduction ride into the club. All on Good bikes with a couple of top end ones in there. Then the leader pointed out to them that the bike may be low class- and the rider may be old and he is puffing just as much as the rest of you but he knows how to use a bike and he has been in front of you for the last 3 miles and none of you could catch him.

Difference was that the last 3 miles was my sprint workout for the ride and I had to take that rest to recover again. If I had been with that group of new riders I would have been working just as hard to stay with them and the excuse I would have put forward would have been- "I am old and I don't have the latest lightest equipment like the rest of you"

I may have the enthusiasm to get out and ride with the local club but I am struggling on the 15 miles at 15 mph rides they do but that is at a low pace for the others. So my word of warning is to look at the riders as they pass you and listen to them. If you can hear their breathing and it is more laboured than yours- Then sit behind them until they either pull off into the distance or you act as an anchor while they tow the "oldun" along and you have to take a pull at the front to save their legs.

Spike Milligan