Thread: Swift folders
View Single Post
Old 01-12-13, 06:16 AM
michael432000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Went out for my first proper ride today and I’m a bit disappointed, hopefully only temporarily. Not that I was expecting much as I intended to use the initial set-up as a commute bike through the harsh English winter, thereby making use of some of the components that were on it when I purchased it.

Here’s a not great photo taken on my old mobile phone to give you an idea of the current set-up.

On the plus side, due to pure luck, this is the best and most comfortable riding position I’ve ever had. Also, at speed and on a clear road it’s fine.

The problem is at lower speeds mainly due to the fact that it has a coaster brake and the bike feels too sluggish with the heavy stock wheels and hub gear. Or maybe it’s just the Big Apple tyres that make it feel spongy. They look almost new so I thought I should make use of them. But I like a firm ride.

So now it’s either get a freewheel gear hub, something I know nothing about as I’ve never had a gear hub before, or go for a derailleur system and new lighter wheels. Anyone in UK got a spare rear derailleur hanger?

One other plus was the I-beam seatpost and saddle, which I really liked. Anyone purchasing this set-up for the first time make sure you pre-stress and nip up the bolts quite a few times before riding on the road.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SP_A0125copy_zpsf9336df0.jpg (57.4 KB, 341 views)