View Single Post
Old 01-12-13, 08:55 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Mixing BB cups and spindles

I posted this on c&v but got no response (partly because I buried it in an older thread) but I thought I'd post here to get mechanic perspective. I have a set of 80s superbe pro cranks on an old schwinn that I have mated with a nice 80s campy adjustable BB with 114.5mm spindle. The match works but I have always wanted to get the bb that goes with the cranks. After intermittent searching, I, at long last, located and acquired the 113mm suntour superbe pro bb spindle that is the correct match for these particular cranks ; while I did not get the cups, I thought I'd swap in the spindle to get the most correct chainline (just because). What I failed to consider in acquiring the spindle, is that the campy cups I have are the "thin cups" that came with some campy BBs so they dont work with the suntour spindle. Since suntour superbe pro BBs with 109mm spindle are fairly common (apparently they are used often on fixies with suntour track cranks), I was thinking I'd just buy one and use the cups but thought I'd check here to see if anyone was aware that cups would be different. Alternatively, I wonder if I could use campy "thick cups" from the era as well since the spindles that go with those cups have same 49mm "B measurement" as the suntour spindle. Any info/theories/thoughts welcome.