Old 01-14-13, 12:28 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbo1983
I am curious however as to which part actually wears, and if there is a bodge or mod I could make (just for fun) that could fix or prolong the life of it. Like, filing another slot for the spring to increase the tension on it, or something like that.
Having recoed a few sets of older-style Ergos by merely tweaking the index springs, this would be my first thought; it's likely just a case of tired springs rather than wear... although not having had a chance to inspect the guts of later Ergos, I could easily be wrong.

I saw the guts of some Doubletaps at a bike show a couple of months back, and I've gotta say they compare very favourably to Ergos and STIs from an engineering perspective; such a beautifully simple mechanism. Doubletap looks like it may eventually succumb to wear, perhaps being less durable than 1st-gen STIs (which mostly only keep working long enough to wear out if they're overhauled to replace the crappy grease), but the next brifters I buy will be SRAM for sure.