View Single Post
Old 01-14-13, 06:25 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
Ed, The pros may correct me, but I don't think that you can, or at the least shouldn't use QR skewers on a claw hanger that doesm't bolt to the drop out.

Brad
I'd say you'd probably get away with it if you had a decent-quality closed-cam skewer like the ones Shimano use. I've got one clamping the back wheel of my main bike in place against the chain tension from a 26-tooth granny chainring, with horizontal dropouts, and it doesn't slip, so I'd say it'll clamp a derailleur on just fine if you do it up properly.

There is a chaintug-style tensioner for track rear fork ends available that has a derailleur hanger built into it. I can't remember who makes it.

It wouldn't be terribly "quick" to fit or remove the wheel with that setup though, as you'd probably have to take the chaintug off to get the wheel out of the frame, and putting the whole thing back on again while dealing with the spring tension from the derailleur trying to rotate the chaintug would be a pain in the arse.