Old 01-14-13, 09:54 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Vibration and picture quality

I don't have a GoPro or Contour, just a "sports" model (shock, cold and water resistant) digital pocket camera with HD video capability with image stabilization. I bought a handlebar mount for it, but on all but the smoothest of roads the vibration is very unacceptable. I even tried it on my high volume tire 700x40mm trail bike on smooth pavement and still got a lot of shake. I see a lot of videos shot using mounts to the handlebars and other rigid parts of bikes with a lot less vibration despite rough roads. I'm beginning to wonder if it is the mount itself which seems to be a bit less than sturdy and sticks up a couple inches above the bar. To the naked eye it appears that it might actually be amplifying the frame vibration.

Does anyone else shoot video with a non GoPro/Contour camera with reasonably good results? Do you use a handlebar mount or a chest or helmet mount? I'm not big on helmet mounts because I don't like the vantage point and protrusions from the helmet could be an issue if I happened to crash. I'd rather have a lower vantage point like chest or handlebar. Can anyone recommend a good handlebar mount that dampens vibration or at least doesn't amplify it?

Thanks