View Single Post
Old 01-14-13, 10:53 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Odlorah
What I need is a set of those levers that brace on the headset.
What you need is a set of levers on a clamp which fits the down tube. Some people think they take a bit more getting used to than stem-mounted shifters, but it really isn't hard to learn, and they are so wonderfully direct and smooth. Stem shifters are less precise because of the extra length of housing between the lever and the stop on the top end of the down tube. DT shift levers on a clamp are very common, very available.

And I'm thinking BG is right. The FS may be a fine bike for learning how to tweak a bike, but it isn't worth much expense, and don't forget that maybe your time is worth something too. Those derailleurs are wasted on that bike. There are people right here in C&V (maybe even myself if I had an ongoing project that could use them) who'd easily pay more for them than the whole rest of the bike plus whatever your labor is worth.

Last edited by jimmuller; 01-14-13 at 11:35 PM.