Old 01-15-13, 12:11 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by macteacher
Hi all,

I have been on copenhagenize.com a few times and more than anything else they stress cycling with regular everyday clothes that you have in your closet..

I can appreciate where they are coming from, but do the Danes not sweat after a 5km ride? My commute is 8km and I'm drenched by the time I arrive.
It depends.

Moving fast enough to avoid boredom I can get a shirt wet within 3km in spite of 7 degree C temperatures, no jacket, and shorts. At 20km one way (still less than the 26km average American commute) it's far enough to be a decent workout which precludes staying dry.

Bringing my wife along as another boredom avoiding approach allows a dry 16km round trip for ice cream on a 27 degree C summer day.

IIRC both my mother's father's parents came from Denmark which makes me 1/4 Danish.

The cycling specific gear I have helps in wicking the sweat away. What do the Danes do in situations like that? Are they all walking around in their drenched cotton shirts, trousers and suits?
I'd speculate that they're more relaxed about getting to where they're going.

Denmark also isn't known for high temperatures.

Anybody here ride with regular clothes AND DOES NOT change when they get to work?
I wouldn't do that because I'm too impatient to ride slow. I passed on changing for a while when my office moved from 4.8 slow kilometers (I couldn't walk for a while due to a broken leg before that, and wasn't going terribly fast) to 14 not so slow leading to a wet back and shorts with vaguely saddle shaped dirt mark and didn't care much about it at the time although in hind sight that was the wrong move.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-15-13 at 12:39 AM.