View Single Post
Old 01-15-13, 10:54 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I think that doing JRA ("just riding along") rides on the trainer help. Okay, I'm not necessarily super strong so any small gains really give me big dividends, but the mere act of pedaling has benefits for me.

I explained this somewhere other than on my blog so I don't remember where it was but my best years came after doing JRA rides over the winter. Granted, they were really long JRA rides, but JRA rides. When you're fit JRA rides become pretty fast. My teammate had had a phenomenal spring one year and I asked him what he did. JRA rides. The next winter we started planning on going to Belgium to race for a few weeks of racing, and back then there was just one category we could race, "Elite" aka Cat 1s. We were Cat 3s and not the dominant ones at that. To prepare he and I did two 130 mile days a week for a few months, until the cold really hit, then we did some totally unstructured trainer work. We went to Belgium, raced with the just-below-best-pros (one race we decided not to enter was on TV and Phil Anderson and Dag **** Lauritzen were tearing up the field), and came back looking for some payback back at home. I had the best year of my life, found motivation to go 10 years before intentionally taking a hard break from the bike (and that was more from dealing with my mom being sick rather than not wanting to ride).

My next best year ever was in 2010, and over the winter I did two JRA training camp trips, a few days in FL and about 11? days in SoCal. Again, best year ever except the Belgium one.

Because I rarely reach close to max potential (since my max potential is pretty low - "best year of my life" means I am in contention in flat Cat 3 crits and can make it over 30 second long hills without getting shelled) I decided that structured training is too hard mentally with not enough returns. I suffer like mad in a race with very little mental pressure since I'm super motivated to race. Therefore my racing becomes my hard workouts and the rest of my riding is for base, aka JRA.

That's my first thought.

My second thought is, depending on the kind of races you do, depending on the music you listen to, you may enjoy watching some of the helmet cam clips up around on the web. I have a bunch on YouTube and I watch my own clips regularly. I make those clips for me as much as anyone else - I make them how I like them, with the music I like, choosing the scenes if you will that I like. For many of those clips I was limited to 10 minutes so the clips tended to be 9:45 or whatever. You can watch two plus one more for a 20 minute effort.

btw music really revs me up - blasting some tunes (through maybe ear buds) really helps me keep rolling. Therefore my clips have music.

One of my favorites and one that seems to resonate with viewers, with multiple attacks, teammates working for me, a future pro (the Cat 4 that attacks at the end of the first lap is a pro now and his first win was at Bethel), other teams working against us, and a final leadout: