Old 01-16-13, 08:30 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
According to Peter Kohler's article on the Raleigh Lentons, the Lenton Sports wasn't introduced until 1949. The Raleigh catalog marked 1947-48 only shows the Lenton Clubman, not the Lenton Sports (same page as Clubman shared above). I haven't seen a 1949 catalog, but here are the pages from the 1950 catalog on the Lenton Sports:
From that same article ...

Resurrected in Raleigh's post-war range, announced in March 1946, and now assigned no. 25, the Lenton Sports' frame (still 21" and with a 71° angle) was now constructed of Reynolds 531 tubing with a newly designed fork and new colour: Polychromatic Olive. Although Cycling magazine praised it as being "a sound machine at a moderate price," it was withdrawn in spring 1947 and superceded by the Clubman in 1948

Note also the lack of Herons on the chain rings. Granted catalogs are not always the best for determining what actually appears on a bike.

I do find Peter's article rather confusing. I did email him prior to outing the bike and did not get a response.

Lynn Travers

Photos