Old 08-27-05, 10:43 AM
floatingchoner

Bikes: vt 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
compatibility

I could use some help. I have been riding bikes for the past 23 years, and have always had some problems repairing my bikes. I recently got my hardrock tuned up and back in excellent working condition. Since it is a hardtail, I would like to upgrade to a full suspension bike. I have shimano acera derailers (7 speed) with sram grip shifters. I hate the grip shifters, and am going to switch to some shimano rapid fire shifters. My question is: what type of frame should I look for so I can reuse the fork, the bottom bracket, wheels, and components? I am assuming that I will need to first specify the specs of the hardrock to find a frame that will be compatible. Are bottom bracket housings standard among bikes? What about the housing for the fork, are there various sizes that I should be aware of? How well will the components convert? Will I need to get new shift and brake cables made to work with a new frame? I have many questions, about many different things, and if anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Brian.