Old 01-16-13, 04:28 PM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
I disagree with the part about Lemond being unhinged; the only sane man in an insane world full of partisans chanting how clean Armstrong was.
Also disagree with the Badger stabbing anyone in the back. The commentary certainly called Hinault's motives into question, but I've watched the DVD dozens of times, and I'm convinced the Badger was going out with panache. Until the '89 Tour, everyone said that was the most dramatic Tour in memory, (thanks mostly to Hinault IMO.)
Once upon a time I drank the lemond/Hinault coolaid.

But on a local club ride I talked with a rider who had once raced and was rather astute. He pointed out that Lemond was an idiot if he thought Hinault would not be tempted to try for a 6th TDF win and that Hinault then took a path that would allow him the chance while more or less keeping his word.

After that I dug a bit and read an interview with Andy Hampstein that demolished the popular American version of things while still showing the split in the La Vie Claire team.

Per Hampstein Hinault had one rider working for him, Lemond had 2 Hampstien and Bauer. Hampstein at first thought all the rest were working only for Hinault but learned differently when he was dropped off the back after giving his all to help Lemond and thought his top 10 position was gone, only to see 2 FRENCH riders from La Vie Claire drop back to help pull him back. When thanked them later and mentioned he hoped they would not have problems because of it one of them responded with somethgin like 'Are you crazy? Your are in 4th palce that is 75,000 francs!'.

Hinault took the path where he could claim to be helping Lemond yet have his chance. He attacked and broke legs left and right. In doing that he destroyed the field. And before it was over he had his chance to win. At one point he had a big enough lead he could easily have defended it. Instead he continued to attack and Lemond countered and took back the time he needed.

I think in the end Hinault decided at the least he was not going to win like Anquetil. If he won number 6 it would be like Merckx or not at all. If he was going to in hte end break his word it would be with decent deniability and with major flash.

EDIT:

One would also do well to look at where Americans got their chance ot Ride in the TDF. IThe chance came riding for La Vie Claire. It came through Hinault. Now I think Hinault's motivation was selfish and smart. He found a source of major talent that was helpful to him. But he, or at least his team, is the one who found it and opened the door. I'm inclined to think Hinault had a significant part in some of the changes that came after that, where Americans, Austrailians and others became part of the Tour and the Tour changes from the top Grand Tour, but still not that different from the Giro, to THE Tour, the one race people in non-cycling countries know about even if they know of no other race.

Last edited by Keith99; 01-16-13 at 04:36 PM.