Old 01-16-13, 04:48 PM
Commodus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
Or, like the Chinese are beginning to do now?

No.

And, no. I haven't read any specifics about the stories of the East German swimmers. But, I can imagine.

Cleaning up Olympic sport and the viability of Professional cycling are two different cases.

The UCI, as much as some of us dislike them, are rightfully proud of their progress at increasing Pro Tour rider salaries. I believe there is not a rider in the Pro Tour last year who wasn't paid at least 80 or 85k euro. That is a vast improvement over just a few years ago when some where on as little as 35k.

The scenario that allows such improvements is multifaceted. But, it has a lot to do with the 'product' and value thereof the UCI and the teams have to offer to potential sponsors (historic, current and prospective). Interesting enough, how the riders are managing their health probably has less consequence on that product than ensuring the anticipated riders are healthy, completing and 'ensuring' there aren't constant scandals.

As we make large inroads into how rider health is managed we will see to some regard a higher attrition rate over the season. Fewer riders will capable of carrying the neccessary workload to train and complete all events. Team rosters will have to grow in order to ensure fresh riders over the course of the season with a corresponding decrease in rider wages to reflect this. Increased variability in team rosters from event to event will decrease the value of the product to team sponsors and so team revenues will be adjusted down. With further reductions in pay for all staff involved, including the riders. And, as the heavy training and competition schedules take their toll on riders who should be increasingly limited in their health management options, careers will be shortened. Further reducing their life time earning potential as a professional cyclist.

We the spectators will of course benefit from this, with more drama within the peleton. More broken riders, unable to recover sufficiently dropped or left along the roadside. And generally, less boring tours than this past years TDF, which much like the LA years, saw a team field a group of incredibly well matched and fit riders (largely of the same nationality), capable of riding tempo at a pace which greatly discouraged attacks and with the reserve to squash any that might dare.

And, to bring all this back on topic. How does Tygart's reasoned decission, or, Lance's presumed admission tonight change for the better professional cycling tomorrow?

It doesn't really, that I see.

It doesn't address the looming spectre of genetic engineering. It doesn't 'do' anything to decrease the use of PED's within the peleton.

So, what's being accomplished?

Vidication or revenge for the whining, snivelling, back stabbers, who once they got popped for drugs after leaving Lance Inc. decided to 'come clean' about all that 'they' had done, is about it from my perspective.

The only ones I have much sympathy for are the Andreu's.
It's interesting, and sort of tragic, the evolution of the die hard Lance fans. Where once the people telling the truth could be dismissed and insulted, now they must rely on vague, serpentine arguments regarding the nature of man or long-winded philosophical debates regarding the 'good of cycling'.