View Single Post
Old 01-18-13, 10:06 AM
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSergeant
The real deciding factor for me is handlebar height in relation to saddle height. In my experience if your saddle is above you handlebars pass on Brooks -- period. If it's level or your handlebars are higher, go for it. I did a 750+ mile tour 2 years ago on a Brooks B17 Special on a Salsa Fargo and never wore a chamois once. I ended up shipping my bike shorts home 4 days into the trip.

The other issue with the saddle is that you'll have a tendency to slide forward if your bars are too low. The solution for most people is to angle the saddle nose up so that it "cradles you" in the the saddles sweet spot. That's all well and good but after some time you'll notice some perennial pressure. You will start to unconsciously rotate your pelvis so it's more upright and place more pressure on your hands. Obviously no good.

My recommendation is go for it but get a seat post with 25mm+ setback and be aware of h-bar/seatpost issue and watch what your body is doing.

My B17s (chopped & tied -- which imo is a must)

I've swapped my Brooks from bike to bike but this latest swap just doesn't seem to work at all. This seems like it might help with the issues I've been having.