View Single Post
Old 01-19-13, 04:26 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by leaping_gnome
I know I can't compete on the difficulty that weather plays while trying to ride year round. I try to make up for it by doing more climbing! Yesterday I rode 98.8 miles with beautiful clear blue sky and only a moderate headwind. I just have to tell you all about it because it was a particularly great ride and I did use my '84 Sequoia. Yes, I know I'm over achieving for January; please forgive me! This ride was over the un-maintained road called the "Ridge Route". First opened in 1915, it was the first motorway to connect the Los Angeles area to Sacramento. It followed the ridgeline along the mountains north out of LA to the Grapevine. It has been closed for many years and is is great dis-repair but is passable by bicycle. What a journey! And I started from my front door.

I am including a link to a photo album so you can see the pictures and narrative if you want. Laugh all you want when you see what I consider and "icy" road. Happy riding!
Ridge Route Photo Album
Im envious!