View Single Post
Old 01-19-13, 07:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Thought I'd add a side bar to this thread. 30, or so, years ago I had a spoke grab this deraillure and tear it in two. I had ridden to a club Winter maintaniance night. Only one other guy rode there so I was already on the Good List. On the way home i cut down a side street in the shadows and wacked a pothole so hard that both rims buckled. The spoke on the rear that then bowed out snagged my deraillure. The lower half stopped rotating around the freewheel when it hit the rack brace. Well I sat down and with my tools removed the lower half and made the bike rideable, as the tires almost but not quite blew out only removing the deraillure bits and straightening a couple of chain links was needed. A little bit bothered but also a bit proud that I was able to cycle on I rode home. Bumping with each wheels flat spot and the chain swinging to and fro, auto shifting a few times. But wouldn't you know it the other guy who had ridden to the workshop passed me by before I got home. needless to say my Good list points dropped. Here's the paper weight I've had on my desk since. Andy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1190001.jpg (98.6 KB, 5 views)