Old 01-19-13, 08:15 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Interesting, but niche and somewhat pricey ... 200USD shipped to Germany.

ABUS Bordo and Defender RL for the same money seems like a better option.

However, I do applaud the company for breaking into the market.

I'd be interested to see how it would survive the LN2/hammer treatment which is commonly used here.
There were at least a couple of other threads you commented on where I discussed why I thought the TiGr was better than the Bordo, but to recap, the TiGr is lighter, and provides a greater range of lockup options, most significantly in being able to capture both wheels and the frame. It's also more cut resistant and easier to handle. Weren't you the one who posted they'd chipped they paint when employing the Bordo?

In any case, which is better depends on one's needs, resources, and tolerance for compromise.

To the question of liquid nitrogen, titanium actually gets harder at liquid nitrogen temps:

when titanium changes from room temperature toliquid nitrogen temperature, tensile strength changes from 1000 to 1700 MPa. This means thatthe cutting force will increase, consuming more power and generating more heat. With regard toimpact strength, tensile elongation and reduction in area, the research literature is not consistent.However, most data showed that even at liquid nitrogen temperature Ti-6Al-4V sustains its tough-ness and ductility, without the apparent ductility to brittleness transition common for carbon steels. (http://www.et.byu.edu/~ered/ME482/Pa...rlandPaper.pdf)

The same is true for stainless steel, which the lock cylinder is made of. Stainless steel tanks are used in the transportation of liquid nitrogen for this reason.