View Single Post
Old 01-23-13, 04:58 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I've upgraded my touring equipment several times since the early 1970's and it got better at every iteration. My last upgrade was converting all my wife's and my gear over to Orlieb gear. It was not done all at once but over a period of 3-4 years. Since we started the Ortlieb upgrade, about 5 years ago, we have used them for about 10,000 miles of touring, and have not regretted it a bit. Waterproof is nice. The 3 other sets of panniers that I've owned leaked, tore and did not survive crashes or airport baggage handlers very well. UV also is very hard on nylon fabric. The Ortiebs are durable, waterproof, and mount easily and securely. I've never had a problem with the "plastic" clips. Actually, the Ortlieb, and many of the newer mounting systems, are easier to use and provide more secure mounting than the older metal hooks.

I've also done the same with bikes, stoves, sleeping , bags, tent, etc. I use the MSR Pocket Rocket in the states, and a Primus cannister stove in Europe. If a lot of cooking is anticipate or travel off the beaten path, I carry a MSR International, a cousin to my Wisperlite.

Sometimes post 2006 equipment is pretty good.

Just take a hose and rinse them off.

This "flesh wound" to my front pannier is the reult of a high speed encouter with a high curb. Panniers made out of packcloth or even codura would not have fared as well. It is still waterproof

Last edited by Doug64; 01-24-13 at 12:52 PM.