View Single Post
Old 01-24-13, 08:55 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
No ceiling fan but the boxed beam is about 1" from my head when i'm sitting upright in the saddle. Luckily when i'm on the pedals i'm a but lower or I could smash my head on the beam.

Those cinder blocks date back to when I was 17 and still lived with my parents. Cheap and sturdy. I once had a friend who was in altered states (remember it was the late 70s) fall face first into the shelves. He broke his nose but the needle never skipped.

As to old vinyl... the preamp uses vacuum tubes and modern digital just does not sound as warm or fluid.

When I turn it on and turn down the lights it brings me back to 1972.
CDs and digital were advertised as providing better sound than the vinyl they were replacing. While they are more durable and more convenient, there is NO WAY that they provide better sound. (at least from a high quality stereo and records that are clean and in good shape).

And, I find the same is true comparing the digital monitors and TVs to the old cathode ray tubes. They simply don't have the color depth and accuracy.

I equate the digital "revolution" as equivalent to Wonder Bread and Tang: We were told over and over that we got more nutrition from modern chemistry than from mother nature.
... Unfortunately, analog is dead -- except for us die hards...