Old 01-25-13, 03:38 PM
OldZephyr

Bikes: 1985 Trek 720, 2010 CAAD9-6, mid-90s Trek 750 hybrid (winter bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tom cotter
The LHTs at my local LBS, Trophy Bikes in Philly, were built up using road gearing and without racks. I don't recall what tires were shoed on the rims only thinking that, that's something else I would need to change.

So, I guess you could tour right off the showroom floor with these bikes but IMO for these reasons, I wouldn't.
Your bike shop might be building up nice LHTs, but that shop is not building up the LHTs with the stock parts kit from Surly. The stock drive train does not have "road" gearing -- it's a 26-36-48 triple with an 11-34 9 speed cassette, see the 2nd tab on this page for the stock parts kit: http://surlybikes.com/bikes/long_haul_trucker

We have 2 LHTs in our family and both came with that drive train.

I agree that stock LHTs lack racka, fenders, etc. You have to buy those extra (and pedals too).

But as far as the bike itself goes, the LHT really is ready to roll for loaded touring (with the possible exception of the saddle); unlike a number of bikes sold as touring bikes, the gearing is appropriate, and the wheels are stout and reliable.