Old 01-27-13, 06:31 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I noticed you didn't mention Fletcher Flyer. Is it not a fun ride?
I just went into May, there are a bunch more rides through the summer. The Fletcher Flyer is a good ride. It's not my favorite ride in the area though. I usually ride it, often doing the Murray Mill Metric the day before. The Flyer route is chosen to try to minimize total elevation gain. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it means in this case staying in the French Broad River Valley and crossing RR tracks many times. The scenery is nice for the most part but sometimes suburban. The last few years I have noticed an increase in car traffic on the ride. The Asheville area has really grown and it shows. The traffic isn't horrible, just more than I'd like. Being a Sunday ride there is the normal release of church traffic around 11-12 in the morning. The ride is also a Team in Training event. So expect lots of enthusiastic riders that are not always the best bike handlers. It's well supported, very well attended ~ 1000+ riders. It's worth doing if you are looking for a century ride with around 3800' of climbing in this area. It can be hot, though last year was great. There is a metric route too. The lead pack comes in around 4:20 on the 100 if you can believe that!