View Single Post
Old 01-28-13, 08:12 AM
ericm979

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Which gloves are you using? I find that many gloves do not have padding in the middle of the heel of the hand, and allow that part to contact the bars directly. For me that causes hand numbness or tingling after some hours of riding.

I've been using Specialized gloves which have better coverage on the heel of the hand, and nice dense padding.

Stay away from gel gloves. The gel padding is too soft, allowing pressure points through the padding.

Moving the seat forward puts more weight on the hands, not less, because it moves your CG forward so you put less weight on the pedals and seat. If you need to shorten the reach to the bars, get a shorter stem.

If your bike has Sram levers, the cables may be run out the lever bodies to the outside of the bars. That is right where many people put the heels of their hands when riding with hands on the hoods. If those cables are causing pressure on the heels of your hands, re-do the cabling and use the alternate inside routing (may not be available on all Sram levers).

A "textbook" fitting (KOPS, LeMond seat height) is a good starting point for saddle position. Many road riders prefer to have their seat a bit back of KOPS. That puts less weight on the hands, and makes for somewhat better climbing due to better recruitment of the glutes, but is a bit less effective for sprinting. There is a lot to fitting besides saddle position, like reach to the bars and cleat position, and an experienced fitter can make all those adjustments fit you.

Last edited by ericm979; 01-28-13 at 08:16 AM.