View Single Post
Old 01-28-13, 11:37 AM
Cyclerock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I do both rides as well. The NYC Century is definitely a better ride for more serious riders, but even that has its drawbacks. It isn't a fast ride, but at least there aren't the choke points. I would only do the full 100 miles on it as I don't think it is worth it for anything less. I can skip Staten Island too. Sometimes I wish the century was done in reverse, with The Bronx first because by that point in the ride it just seems like miles to make up the difference. If I knew I had 25 more miles through Brooklyn (my home borough btw) I'd be more enthused. The worst part in any case is the long slog through Queens, I'd gladly do more miles in either the Bronx or Brooklyn if we could cut out the miles in Queens.

The 5 Boro is still fun as it is early season and gets a lot of riders out that don't usually do group rides. Just lower your expectations.
Zac, The NYC Cent. used to be as you said. A long time ago, the Bronx was the first borough you rode in when you left Manhattan. (The Bronx Zoo was the first rest stop). However, since most everyone had to walk their bikes on the Triborough Bridge staircase, it took a painful amount of time to get through there. I forgot about the 15 milers, but the 35,55,75, and 100 groups all endured the Triborough. Now, only the 75 and 100ers walk the bikes on the Triborough and it isnt as bad.