View Single Post
Old 01-29-13, 06:00 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cerewa
Roody -- you mention "prepaid instead of contract" ... this is one of the best-kept secrets right now in cell phones. In the US a bunch companies re-sell cellular service which they buy "wholesale" from Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint... depending on what you want, prices can easily be a quarter of what you'd pay for "on contract" cell service (like $19/month for unlimited talk/text/web). Check out republic wireless for that deal, or check out Straight talk (good if you want to use a phone built for AT&T/Tmobile and live where you can get good service from one of those companies), or Page Plus (prices as low as $30/month, good if you live where verizon provides good coverage)
Some added information: Straight Talk also has some phone that work on Verizon though the bulk are AT&T. If you want an Iphone and many of the newer smart phone, to the best of my knowledge they only way to currently get it is on a contract plan. A couple of years ago my company switched us to Altel, then proceeded to send me to a project that had NO coverage. I purchased a Virgin Mobile (Sprint) phone and used that for the duration of the project. I had unlimited minutes, text and data. IIRC it was ~$90 a month with taxes. My personal phone is Verizon and so far has had the best coverage in my travels around the country.

I do agree that the no contract phones are the way to go to save money, most of my crews use them, but shop carefully some companies have very limited coverage.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon