Old 01-29-13, 09:25 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Ellipticals and trainers and treadmills, oh my

I've been wanting to do more than cycling, stuff like running and weights and stuff. Along those lines I picked up a used treadmill two weeks ago, it seemed to work well in the store, but this last weekend I got on it for some run/walk time and less than 30 minutes into the program the treadmill died out. I guess that's better than me dieing out. Took it back to the store and got a full refund, thankfully.

Since then I've learned that I should have had at least 4' of clear area and the end of a treadmill in case I fall and get shot off the end. I had the now departed treadmill butted up to a closed door so that if I had fallen I would have had the equivalent of road rash from the treadmill belt until it would have finally came to a stop. Since that's the only place I really have room for a treadmill in the house I don't think I'll be looking for another one. Fun while it lasted though.

Next I'm looking at ellipticals. We already have an older elliptical which my wife likes but doesn't fit me well. I haven't really committed to updating that one yet.

So now I'm back to the bike trainer and also lunchtime walks or walk/runs on workdays when the weather cooperates. Due to other committments my off-season training plans have not progressed as well as I would have liked, but I'm still doing what I can when I can.

Anyway, just a rambling dialog of my off-season so far. We had a high of 58degF here today, but is supposed to get below zero again for a low by tomorrow night, which is why I've been looking at indoors training options.

I'm also curious what some others of you do in the off-season apart from using bike trainers or rollers.