Old 01-31-13, 05:46 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
And as for the Riley Geary analysis not supporting my assertion that riding without lights is,dangerous, just read the conclusion:

Figure 23 demonstrates that adult urban cyclists now constitute the dominant modality among bicycle traffic fatalities in general, and that nighttime fatalities comprise at least half the problem in this class. This is out of all proportion to the amount of urban cycling actually being done at night, and strongly suggests more attention needs to be given to the entire nighttime bicycle conspicuity problem. The new flashing red LED taillights that have been developed over the past decade appear to offer an excellent technological solution to the problem, but in the absence of any real effort to educate cyclists as to their need, much less any effort to enforce nighttime safety equipment standards among cyclists out riding after dark, it is questionable how much progress can actually be made in curtailing these imminently preventable fatalities.

I'll grant you the 56% figure is not in the abstract i linked, but I'll take kiefer's word for it. And it's obvious Riley's analysis supports my point.
What does the word "suggest" mean to you. You seem to think it is scientific proof that you can take into a courtroom to place 100% FAULT ON THE CYCLIST.

You and your quote are obsessed with ignoring the more likely causes: such as a much higher rate of homeless drunk and drugged cyclist riding at night, DUI motorist that lost their license and now DUI cycle, even the sober homeless cyclist tend to cross the roads mid-block without proper care - not to mention poor crossing at intersections.

We had an off duty cop in Honolulu kill a young woman while DUI running a red light at 25 mph over the speed limit. The cop continued to drink but just DUI cycled while waiting for his court case to come up. He got hit while DUI cycling. Most other DUI cyclist are just not worth the print space for us to hear about.