Old 01-31-13, 07:43 PM
Renp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could I convert a straight side rim to a hook bead?

So I have been lurking this site since I just bought my new bike. Well old bike. It's a 1973 nishiki international. I am really liking how it feels, but I haven't done anything yet but oil the chain and read about every part on the bike that has a name to google and end up back at this site . The wheels it has are araya 27x1 1/4 w/o hb. So they are straight sided, and I have spent the last two hours reading the woes of the straight side people...

I recognized many of the stuff y'all were complaining about, so I pulled out my old beater I used to ride and looked at the wheels, same thing araya 27x1 1/4 w/o hb. So that explains why I went through about two new tubes a month eh. Lol. I wish I cared enough back then to read things...

So I was thinking, and feeling the bead holder in a modern wheel. I'm thinking about getting out my Dremel and making a hook for the bead, or maybe even easier using some jb weld or some other epoxy to just run a bead right along the lip of the rim. What do you guys think? Any ideas on an easier way to do this? Or what of the two ways I've got right now have the highest chance of success? I have two sets of these wheels so if I ruin one its no biggie.

Thanks!

Oh and ill make sure to post some pictures of whatever I end up doing!