Old 02-01-13, 07:52 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3467 Post(s)
Liked 2,843 Times in 2,004 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
This post has two purposes. The first is that I want to show off another logo that I traced.

The main question came to me while I was working on this file. Is clean, tidy and symmetrical vector based art really a good thing for old bikes? I think the real answer is probably no, the neatness looks inauthentic. I assume the originals were all probably hand-drawn. The neat-freak in me says, who cares. If you want authentic vector art, there are lots of tracing options that would probably achieve the right look.

I've purchased decals from cyclomondo and felt the same way about them.

So, what is your opinion? Which do you prefer?

Simplex_Logo by mkeller234, on Flickr
Pretty good work. I would review the lower legs of the L and E, they taper a bit in the original, and the JUY to me originally did not have sharp corners, but if you printed it at 120 dpi (ancient tech now) it might just blur out pretty well. Also, a line coming off a circle at a tangent was a trick to get right long ago.
Reproduction graphics done with vector based software are here. One has to have a keen eye to see where the original art production methods (handwork) led the original artist or designer to fudge the art to correct for errors or aesthetics.
These old logos were often printed using a platen press, with hand cut or photo etched "type" made from hand art.

Hand inked many a logo decades ago... I have those ruling pens somewhere...