View Single Post
Old 02-01-13, 10:42 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently got a second bike. It is a Jamis Commuter 3. I love the bike and hate the saddle. Too narrow, too rock hard.

My other bike has a wider, slightly softer saddle. It's never been a problem. The Jamis saddle was actually the reason I had to terminate a late night rain ride at 10 miles this week (usually it is leg fatigue). The bike is sooooo smooth pedaling, but I gotta replace the saddle.

I have heard a lot about the Brooks B17's being good quality. I found the Brooks website, and the standard B17 is narrower than the saddle I do like but wider than the one I don't like (it's in between). So I have a few questions, if any of you can help:

Is the Standard B17 the one most folks go with?

There are about 100 different Brooks models. The wider ones are their "City and Heavy Duty" ones:
http://www.brooksengland.com/catalog...26+heavy+duty/
It looks like those all come with springs. Any experience with these, or is this overkill?

How weather-sensitive is the leather?

I'm in the market for a new saddle for my new summer bike - thanks for any advice anyone can give. I'm 6' 0", 250 lbs, if that matters at all.

Edit: one other question: Is this something I can find at an LBS?

Last edited by Bluish Green; 02-01-13 at 10:53 PM. Reason: one additional last question