View Single Post
Old 02-07-13, 12:15 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
I have a Bontrager Node 2.1 (ANT+ based). The list price is about $200 (computer + speed/cadence transmitter + HRM). I got it for significantly less than that from Summit in California.

It's fairly expensive for a non-GPS computer but, for me, it was worth it. One big advantage is that you don't have to worry about recharging it every day or so (the battery life of this computer is excellent). While basic GPS (non mapping) computers aren't much more money, they don't really do that much more (and you have to recharge them frequently).

Anyway...

It used to be that ANT+ was the only "fancy" wireless option available. With the BTLE stuff, that's no longer the case.

I suspect that ANT+ won't be as important in the future. But things are complicated with there being a mix of ANT+ and BTLE stuff that people might want to use.

If the Node 2.1 was BTLE, I could use the transmitter for the phone too. (I'm leaning towards using the phone + external battery instead of getting a Garmin 8xx.) But, if you have a computer, you really don't need the phone for that.

There is a HRM ($100) that will recieve ANT+ signals and retransmit them as BTLE.

This site does a good job at looking at this stort of stuff.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/