View Single Post
Old 02-08-13, 03:44 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stap, I misread your original post somehow and mistakenly read into it that you MIGHT have diabetes but were going back for more tests...

But, if you do have it, I am very glad that you caught -- and knowing you, you will manage it very carefully. And for diabetes, the management is the key to long and happy life.

That is, it is not the diabetes that hurts you or kills you -- it is the complications from unmanaged diabetes. That is, high sugar levels cause both macro and micro damage to the arterial system and the result is damage to organs like eyes and kidneys as well poor circulation to the extremeties which leads to hard to treat infections. Also, the macro effects can be things like high cholesterol and blood pressure which lead to their own problems.

But, if the sugar levels are well managed with: meds, diet and exercise those bad things don't happen (or are far less likely to happen).

I know that you will do what you have to do.

Your physician will take care of the meds and I know you will take care of the exercise.

But I STRONGLY suggest that you ask for a referral to a nutritionist with a specialty in diabetes... Not only are there a LOT of misconceptions about diabetic diets but you will learn to ways to eat that not only help manage the diabetes but are fun, tasty and healthy. (at least that is what I have observed when I accompanied newly diagnosed patients to the nutritionist).

So, I am very glad that you found this -- I have not doubt that you will manage it very well...

BTW: when I saw my physician last (who happens to be an endocrinologist) and told him I was riding 20-25 miles a day he was very pleased and said: "One of my patients manages his diabetes by riding 14 miles each day".
... I wonder if the higher sugar levels came about from your lack of riding recently?