View Single Post
Old 02-08-13, 03:56 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And, BTW, if the physician prescribes diabetes meds for you, one thing I have observed with my patients is that they strongly caution about not letting the sugar levels get too high -- but they ignore low sugar levels. And, in your case, that can have an increased probability.

A typical situation is: you take the morning meds then skip breakfast and take a ride instead --and all 3 of those things decrease your sugar levels and low sugar is more dangerous (short term) that high sugar. High sugar has serious long term consequences. But low sugar can quickly make you dizzy, woozy and can even make you pass out. And, if it gets way too low it can kill you.

So learn to recognize the causes and symptoms of hypoglycemia and try to avoid them... And carry some life savers or sugary drink to treat it if it happens.

Again, in my experience, physicians tend to be less concerned about low sugar levels for some reason -- but they can kill you faster than high sugar.

The trick is to keep it in the right range.