View Single Post
Old 02-08-13, 05:30 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Stap,
A glucose meter is probably the best item for sugar level management I know of, ...
Bill
Yes, I agree. But some physicians will only prescribe them if the patient asks for one with mild Type II diabetes. Instead, some prefer to manage strictly off of the HgbA1C because that provides long term results that nobody can cheat or lie about it. (Well, maybe Lance --- but that's another story!) ... And some assume that the patient will not want to be bothered with it.

But I have found that when a person tests themselves with a glucometer that they tend to do a much better job of managing their sugar levels. And they do even better if they keep an ongoing log that they can show the physician. (although most glucometers do that for you).

But I have found the log to be especially helpful in identifying and tracking the severity and frequency of hypoglycemia (which can present as an acute and severe problem).

And, I believe (although I haven't seen this verified medically) but it's not the long term average that matters -- but the day-to-day and hour-to-hour control of your sugar levels that keeps you healthy. If your sugar is always in the right range, from your body's perspective, you don't have diabetes...