Old 02-11-13, 11:19 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by texasdiver
I think it is too big to ship UPS and you need to use some traditional freight company. Plus, I don't have a shipping box. I expect for the cost of properly shipping it back to Texas I could probably just go ahead and buy a rack.
UPS ships tandems routinely for about $150. Greyhound is probably a better choice though and a bit cheaper. After Greyhound, FEDEX would be next choice.

There are a couple of existing threads here on shipping the beast and cost there to. I think the common search phrase to find them is "greyhound" or Tandem Shipping

FWIW: I have taken several tandems on the factory top rack of a mini-van. Just take the wheels off and put them inside. Then wrap the rest in either bubbles or blankets and lash it to the rack with clothesline rope, etc. Check it after the first 1/2 hour and at each stop thereafter to make sure you are not catching so much air that it is tearing off the padding, etc. If you stop for hotel over night or to take in a Disneyworld, take the bike down and put it inside the car or it will get stolen for sure.