View Single Post
Old 02-11-13, 01:52 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
I liked the show and had a good time, although it is more of a buying show than a selling show. It was odd in the the show used to be excellent for picking up consumables (bar tape, tubes, tires, etc) and there was very little of that at non-shop prices this year. Also, activity in the parking lot was down and a couple of the big shop buyers of old bikes appeared to be MIA. I think the economy was a bit of a drag. Anything expensive, even moderately priced, was not going to move, so my table was slow sales wise as it was a pile of C-record and the like. I'll just keep it and trade it or put it on a project if I can't get near market for it. I think I sold more copies of my comic book than anything else.

Buying was another story. There were nice frames to be had, especially in the larger sizes (Can't figure the earlier statement about them not being there). I picked up two project frames for reasonable to cheap. I paid asking price for this MKM, a mere 150$:

It's a well kept bike, resprayed by Franklin frames in Ohio according to PO (who worked a table with PhotoG).

I'm starting to think how to build it; right now I'm thinking I'm going to transfer some half-step off an old Follis frame I'm likely selling. Late in the show, I picked up this Guerciotti for 125$ (cheap, I thought):

I note with the Viner, this completes my collection of bikes with star shaped drain holes. Same seller had a nice Viner frame for 150$. Guy next to me picked up a large Moser for basically under a hundred.

I also found some NOS Victory chainrings, 52 and 53 teeth, for a fiver apiece, and bought them.

I'm starting to treat this show as a source to buy a frame or two to tinker around with in the next year. I just got the Lightspeed I picked up last year running well, so the MKM is probably next in line, but I'll spend a bit thinking about the build. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with the Geurciotti; I may stick the C-record I have on it just for kicks. Or I may turn it into a beater. It'll rest in the back of my mind a bit. Not a priority.

I saw some other neat stuff; I briefly considered paying 350 for a chrome Atala track frame with Campy track cranks and Campy two bolt post. I'm sure it sold for asking price.

I've pretty much decided all my cheap flip bikes get sold on local CL late August/early September. Not bringing them to shows anymore. In fact, I'm not quite sure how I will deal with this show in the future, although I did register for the event next year on the way out the door.
It was Tom who sold you the MKM. He's a great guy and you did get a good deal on that frameset. I should have snagged the Weinmann Concave wheelset that included the freewheel and tires he was selling before someone else did. The $30 asking price was more than reasonable.