Old 02-11-13, 05:11 PM
bobthalamu

Bikes: Frankinracer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
went down hard on some skinnies...looking to switch to something fatter...

Hey all-

I was an avid weightlifter and started having some knee issues that limited my squatting ability...in steped my father with his race bike that he built when I was a tike in the 80s. I started riding his old machine (~17.5lb campy super rec mixed with suntour superbe pro), and loved it till I had a low side down at about 25mph (so said cyclometer) about 4 months ago. I always felt pretty confident on the bike but after how fast and uncontrollably I fell I think it may be time to change.

I'm looking for something with a bit larger tire that will be a bit more plush in the ride and offer more versatile use while maintaining a relatively aggressive geometry (I really like it). I'm a pretty big guy, 6'3-4" 198lbs (hopefully back to 215 once I recover), and I think the old bike is a bit small for me with seat tube C-C ~60cm and top tube C-C ~58cm. Most of the CX bikes I have "seen" (none near my size in the LBSs) are 1-1 or 1-1+ rather than 1-1-. I am curious how others feel about this ratio i.e. stability vs agility and such.

My budget is a bit lower than what it should be to purchase a good STEEL CX/adventure style bike (I really like the vaya but at 2000 its over double my limit). I got really excited about this Nashbar steel CX with 105 components for under 800, but fsa mega exo BB and the unbranded hubs have less than good reviews and at nearly 30lbs I find myself turning into a wt. weenie. This aside I am not sure if the 64cm with its 64cm top tube is a bit too big for me. Thoughts?

Next, the motobecane steel cx w full sram apex for nearly the same as the Nashbar (+50 bucks). It seems that the apex is supposed to be equivalent to the sora-a step down from 105, but thoughts seem to be mixed here...?

Then, the KHS cx-100, a bit more than either of the others, and cheaper components, but lighter? better tubing? I can't figure this out.

Finally, maybe a soma dbl cross frame set for ~450 and move all the mid-80s top o line road components (all still in good shape) from Mr. skinny?

Any input would be appreciated.