Old 02-13-13, 11:35 PM
Crazylegsmurphy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Baskets, Racks, Panniers, on a Tern bike...frustrating!

Hey Everyone,

So despite the cold, I have been exploring the streets of Berlin with my new Tern P7i and so far it's been great. The problem is my plan of waiting until I arrived in Germany to pick up a basket, rack, or pannier set, isn't going too good.

Initially, the plan was to use the bike to run errands, travel to work, and the gym, but it turns out the hardest part isn't carrying around a bike, but finding a way to carry all the stuff. A few weeks ago I ordered a rear basket from a company called Basil.

It had everything I was looking for in a rear basket, (detachable, handles, lengthwise orientation), but it was huge! I couldn't fold the bike, and my feet hit the basket when I was peddling. I unfortunately had to send it back.

I'm now trying to find something else, but it seems my options are limited. Initially I thought about getting a KlickFix, but realized you need to attach a bulky (and pricy) rack attachment in order for it to come off. So I thought perhaps I would go with some Panniers, but because of the small tire radius I'm not sure how to size them. I really like the look of these ones, but I'm not sure if they would fit.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...8l-pannier.jsp

And that's just the back of the bike....

When I purchased my Tern, I opted to get the front luggage truss as well. I figured I would find something later, but am now struggling to find the best option. I've been thinking about one, or both of these:

However, again I'm concerned about it effecting the fold.

So, while I understand baskets are a personal choice, I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions, or insight into my dilemma? What I'm looking for specifically is:

Rear Rack / Pannier

Uses:
- Grocery Shopping
- Carrying laptop / sports equipment / etc
- Use for day / multi day trips

Traits:
- Removable (I don't want it on there all the time)
- Doesn't effect fold or ride

Front Rack / Basket

Uses:
- Grocery Shopping
- Carrying light items (day trip, supper, etc)

Traits:
- Removable
- Doesn't effect fold or ride

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and sorry about the long post.

CLM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
39071.jpg (29.7 KB, 59 views)
variorack.jpg (65.0 KB, 55 views)
51CZvbOYxPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (25.7 KB, 57 views)