View Single Post
Old 02-15-13, 03:51 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I track I lose. I don't track I don't. Tracking lets me see consequenceds of my choices and then I make better choices. Hershey bar or apple? t

though I am looking at the Vegan before 6 concept....less from diet and more from impact.
Looking through the thread it seems clear that I didn't get my message across.

So lets try again:

IMHO Specific Diet is not as important as knowing how much your are really eating and eating an amount that will let your lose weight. No matter what the diet is, atkins, low carb, low oil, Paleo, etc non will work unless you take in less calories than you expend.

No diet can let you lose weight if you eat more calories than you burn.

We are terrible at estimating what we are eating and tracking allows us to measure how much we have taken in and how much more can be eatien and still lose weight. And when you see how much a high calorie choice early in the day limits your range of choices later lets you modify behavior. and you can see your mix of protein, carbs, fat (salt, cholestrol in some cases) if you use a tool. it also lets you know if you are eating too little.

that is not to say the diet is not important. You could lose weight eating nothing but butter or sugar, but it clearly wouldn't be healthy. On the other hand not every "healthy" diet works for everyone. There was an outside article where the author had to get off the Okinawa diet as it spiked his cholesterol

The standard more whole grains, complex carbs, veggie, fruit and lean protein in limited amounts holds as a good base.

botton line is the mix has to be something that you like eating, makes you feel satified and still be at your calorie goal

YMMV but for me the "biggest diet change" is tracking so I know how many calories I am eating.