View Single Post
Old 02-20-13, 11:46 PM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
I think that many of us are going to say that you should keep the wheels that came with the bike — assuming they are not worn out, or damaged. A lot of "modern" rims have a different profile than the rims of that era. And they usually have a lower spoke count; many of them will not go with your hubs. There are some currently produced rims that will look much like the ones you have, but if the ones you have inherited are good, I am not confident that there is anything to gain that is worth the trouble and expense of changing them. Engineering and metallurgy has (apparently) made modern wheels more resilient. A modern set I own never needs tuning — well not yet. Occasionally, my 70's and 80's wheel-sets need a bit of the attention with the spoke wrench.

If I had a bike as special as yours, I would keep it as near stock as I could. Rims do wear out, so you might be on the lookout for something that looks like the ones you have — thereby looking forward to the day when you may need them.