Old 02-24-13, 01:37 PM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
I am looking at going on a tour this spring or early summer. My son and wife are coming with, my son to ride and my wife will be support.
I am curious to know if any other amputees have done any touring? Were there any special concerns or issues that came up related to the amputation that should be considered?
If anyone knows of any blog of amps touring please feel free to link them back.
I have gone on 3 or 4 tours with bike touring companies.
I've been using a coolmax sock inside my liner for a few years. A prosthetist told me about the smithwick, and I need to measure to see if they have a size that works for me.

On the bike, I carry powder and a dry sock and some paper towels. I will likely need to change halfway through the day's mileage (I have been limited to trips that average 30-45 miles per day).
In the inn or hotel, I really need to have a shower chair or a bathtub. The smaller the town and the older the hotel, the fewer features you are going to find in the handicapped room's bathroom. I have grabbed a plastic outdoor chair and stuck it into the shower before. I bring some sort of mobility gadget with me - either crutches or a knee walker. I am susceptible to getting a rash under my liner and sleeve from heat and sweat, and I have to spend some hours with the prosthesis off.

If rain happens, you need to either protect the foot shell from getting water in it, or really dry that out.

I've had a left below knee amputation for 40+ years. I did not learn that hopping was really bad for you until I had been an amputee for 30 years. I have significant arthritis in the right knee now. My parents were shocked when I told them about the arthritis - nobody had mentioned that during my rehab eons ago.